Thursday, September 25, 2008

Got to keep the fingers crossed......

The latest on the ChesapeakeMan race this Saturday.....hopefully the worse case scenario won't happen and the race will be able to go on as a full Ironman distance. Might have to start looking at other options for Ironman races this year if it does get cancelled!

Dear Athletes,

Today at 10:30am the ChesapeakeMan Race Staff will be meeting with Local Emergency Management Staff for the Cambridge area. We will be reviewing plans on securing bike racks, setting up the venues, monitoring the water conditions, and overall race safety.

There are many key issues to consider, including the local community and their needs with the expected weather. The forecast for Friday and Saturday is currently calling for 30+ mph winds with rain and cold. This will present significant challenges for the swim portion. The storm has moved very quickly from the Carribean and may join another storm that is forming in the Atlantic.

The primary concern is safety for all involved in the race - participants and volunteer support. Contingency plans are being considered, but we will not know which direction to proceed until more information concerning the weather is available. This part of Maryland has many low lying areas and easily floods when there is severe rain and winds.
We will do our best to keep you informed of the plans for the event. Registration at the Hyatt begins today and the carbo dinner is this evening. We will make an announcement regarding the situation at that time. With safety being the primary concern, if the Emergency Management and Law Enforcement Agencies recommend that we cancel the event, we may have to make that decision.

If you are planning on traveling tomorrow, please go to the website and review the ChesapeakeMan event page. All updates concerning the race will be posted there.


Robert Vigorito, Event Director

No comments: