It's that time of year again to head up to Cedarville, New Jersey on Sunday and race the first 1/2 Ironman triathlon of the season, The New Jersey Devilman. I did this race last year and know what to expect....a swampy (pretty murky) swim, a flat fast bike and a windy run. I wouldn't exactly call it a picturesque race course but it serves as a great warm-up/early season race to get an idea of fitness and status for races to come.
It should be a leg-ripper
Unlike last week where I raced off the back of a big four week training phase, I have had a recovery week these past few days and feel rested prior to Sunday. So what am I looking for at this race?
1) Give myself a good first test of the season. Compared to last year training has gone amazingly well this winter/spring.
2) Swim hard and post a swim PB. Dedication to swim more this winter should pay-off. It will either mean a faster swim time or at least feeling fresher out of the water.
3) Bike at a consistent pace. Build through the bike, don't go out too fast and blow. Start strong and get stronger......
4) Run to my potential....I feel that I have only ever run to my potential once in a race and that was in the North East Olympic race last year. With my stronger bike base this winter and a 2hr 40min marathon this spring, I should be running in the 1hr 25min range in the 1/2 Ironman. So guess what.....that is the main aim for this race, a solid PB run in the 1hr 25min range.
5) Post a sub-4hr 30min time. This race last year was 4hrs 32mins and in two other races I missed the 4hrs 30min barrier by less than 30secs. I know that to be competitive for a Hawaii roll-down slot at Eagleman I need to be in 4hr 20min area. This race will give a good idea of how close I am.
Fortunately there are some guys registered for Devilman that are always contenders at Eagleman and I will be able to gauge where I am in relation to their times. We only have 5 weeks to Eagleman so most of the hay is already in the barn, now it's all about execution.
- Perfect day out on the trails yesterday on the @alchemybicycles at #schaefferfarms . . . . . . #IFB #parvillacycles #MTB #xterratriathlon #mtbracing #marathonmtb
- Kind of a rough day at 6hrs at Woodstock. First 3.5 hrs were fine (even with a 10min stop for horses on the trail) and then stomach shut down. Probably related to stomach bug earlier in the week. Decided not to head out for another lap. Great trails though and a good race from Joe's Bike Shop as always. 📸: @dchammerette . . . . #6HAW #parvillacycles #mtbracing #mtbmarathon #IFB #patapsco #mtb
- Got to ride the trails at Marine Corp Base Quantico yesterday at the Quantico Epic....50 miles of awesomeness despite the muddy trails. Gradually feeling like I have recovered from the #bestbikegameever . . . . . . #marathonmtb #parvillacycles #alchemybicycles #IFB #quanticoepic #cycling #mtbracing
- Coffee Ride.....Full Tilt Boogie Style